Tuesday, 11 June 2019

Star of the County Down

Intro: Instrumental chorus 

 

Near [Am] Banbridge town, in the [C] County [G] Down  

One [Am] morning last [G] July 

From a [Am] bóithrín green came a [C] sweet coll-[G]een 

And she [Am] smiled as she [G] passed me [Am] by. 

She [C] looked so sweet in her [G] two bare feet 

To the [Am] sheen of her nut-brown [G] hair 

Such a [Am] coaxsome elf sure I [C] shook [G] myself 

For to [Am] see she was [G] really [Am] there. 

 

Chorus: From [C] Bantry Bay down to [G] Derry Quay,  

From [Am] Galway to Dublin [G] town 

No [Am] maid I've seen like the [C] fair coll-[G]een 

That I [Am] met in the [G] County [Am] Down. 

 

As she onward sped sure I [C] shook my [G] head 
And I [Am] gazed with a feeling [G] rare,  

And I [Am] said, says I, to a [C] passer-[G]by 
"Who's your [Am] one with the [G] nut-brown [Am] hair?" 
He [C] smiled at me, and with [G] pride says he, 
"She's the [Am] gem of Ireland's [G] crown. 
Young [Am] Rosie McCann from the [C] banks of the [G] Bann 
And the [Am] star of the [G] County [Am] Down." 

 

Chorus 

 

At the harvest fair she'll be [C] surely [G] there 

And I'll [Am] dress my Sunday [G] clothes 

With my [Am] hat cocked right and my [C] shoes shone [G] bright 

For a [Am] smile from the [G] nut-brown [Am] Rose 

No [C] horse I'll yoke, or [G] pipe I’ll smoke, 

'til my [Am] plough is rusting [G] brown 

And a [Am] smiling bride by my [C] own fire-[G]side 

Sits the [Am] star of the [G] County [Am] Down 

 

Outro: 

From [C] Bantry Bay down to [G] Derry Quay,  

From [Am] Galway to Dublin [G] town 

No [Am] maid I've seen like the [C] fair coll-[G]een 

That I [Am] met in the [G] County [Am] Down. 

No [Am] maid I've seen like the [C] fair coll-[G]een 

That I [Am] met in the [G] County [Am] Down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment